Description - وصف
The Mosque of the Sea is located to the north of Sidon and directly overlooks the port of Sidon. This mosque was built in 1373 AD by Hassan bin Sawah, and this appears on the plaque engraved above the main entrance to the mosque, and it was inscribed on it: In the name of God, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful. This mosque was established by Ibn Sawah, in the blessed month of Ramadan in the year seven hundred and seventy-five AH. It is likely that the name of the Al-Bahr Mosque prevailed over this mosque due to its distinguished location near the port of Sidon, where travelers used to perform their religious rites in this mosque. The mosque had one main door, which is the eastern door that leads to the port. It was a school for teaching the Noble Qur’an and memorizing the Holy Qur’an, which was spent on it by the endowments of the Hammoud family, and Sheikh Abdul Muttalib Hammoud was the last supervisor of this school. Inside the mosque, to the west, there is a plaque inscribed with three verses of poetry calling for the late Mustafa Hammoud, and specifying the date of the school’s affiliation with the mosque in 1911 AD.